Our client recognizes that science plays an integral part in everyday life and encourages all employees to make a difference through daily contributions to our organization’s mission. Careers with us allow for the experience or working in a global environment with an on-going focused effort and sustainable approach to improving lives of humans and animals. Related to this position, as the Process Control Technology (PCT) Power Distribution Engineer, we offer the opportunity to:
• Develop the skills and experience necessary to function independently for the safe operation, maintenance, reliability, project development concepts and optimization of the PCT electrical power distribution infrastructure across the Baytown site
• Verify compliance with engineering, safety and procedures, as well as verify and identify opportunities to improve the overall reliability and performance of installations
• Participate in incident investigations and follow up on corrective action items as assigned
• Develop skills and experience interpreting electrical drawings and reviewing maintenance repair scopes and PM intervals
• Participate on Defect Elimination (DE) and Lean Six Sigma teams
• Provide technical support to Business Unit PCT Engineers and Technicians
• Develop skills and experience maintaining as-built Power Distribution documentation and for maintaining the SKM model of short circuits, relay coordination and Arc Flash Hazards Analysis
• Assist the Power Distribution Engineer to develop strategies and solutions to address Power Distribution reliability or operational issues
• Provide scope input and implementation support for improvement projects that result in an increased reliability and operational efficiency
• Assist the Power Distribution Engineer to provide power distribution engineering support across the Business Units in an efficient and cost effective manner
• Follow and support power distribution maintenance practices, procedures and engineering standards
• Develop skills to interpret costs, maintenance reports and participate in cost-related discussions with the BC/PD PCT Lead, PD Engineer, supervisor, planner and technicians
• Assist with the effective deployment of business and technical resources in pursuit of annual goals
• Develop strong microprocessor protective relaying experience to support the Baytown site
• Develop skills with the PD network of meters, relays and controllers that communicate via Ethernet and Modbus. Included tasks will be to add meters to the network and monitoring software and working with the PI interface.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with 4+ years of experience OR a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related degree with 2+ years of experience in industrial or petrochemical environments OR a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering
• Education in electrical power systems and protective relaying
• Understanding of power distribution systems from 480 to 138,000 volts
• Proven interest in continuous improvement, reliability and troubleshooting of operational issues
• Develop experience creating sustainable corrective and preventative action plans
• Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
• Aptitude for learning specialized software applications and configuring microprocessor based electronics products.
• Education in power electronic systems such as High Power Rectifiers and Variable Frequency Drives.