The Operations Quality Engineer is responsible for the quality systems within a specified operating area including specification of incoming quality requirements, oversight of area process management, development of inspection practices, delivery of quality training and oversight of change control. This position audits the Area for adherence to quality procedures, monitors output variables for process capability and develops corrective / preventive actions in response to internal rejections and customer claims. The position reports to the department Superintendent with dotted line accountability to the MQS department.
• Support the team in safely producing the highest quality product in accordance with plant quality standards.
• Coach in a team environment utilizing our company's Supervisory Excellence (ASE) principles and Human and Organizational Performance principles (HP).
• Monitor all quality improvement activities and takes action to capture savings in the DI system.
• Monitor, track and report key Quality metrics to ensure compliance with quality system requirements.
• Analyze quality data for trends and opportunities for problem-solving and waste elimination.
• Promote and practice our company's Business System concepts and philosophies
• Develop incoming quality contracts, audits for adherence to the contracts and issues corrective action requests to resolve violations to the contract.
• Responsible for deploying Process Management to the company's 80.15.1 Standard on all Area critical processes. This includes the tracking and /or auditing of critical process variables to ensure consistent quality characteristics.
• Lead the development and application of Visual Process Management.
• Represent the assigned area at the daily “Rock” quality meeting.
• Lead the development of the corrective action and the response to internal and external customers for their area.
• Responsible for ensuring appropriate content of quality related SOP’s for the area.
• Active presence on the floor to coach and support team members and Operations Shift Coordinators in quality systems and requirements.
• Attend team meeting to coach and support the team in quality aspects.
• Reward and recognize teams.
• Provide quality training to Team members, Star Points, and assigned area personnel.
• Work safely, practicing and promoting safety consciousness through Human Performance principles.
• Drive the use of Human Performance tools for quality improvements.
• Develop inspection practices and criteria to provide assurance of acceptable outgoing product quality.
• Take action to contain questionable product, communicate to affected resources, and develop corrective & preventive actions through effective problem solving.
• Accountable for area process changes to ensure product quality is maintained, managing and controlling risks to safety and process integrity. Communicates process changes to affected personnel outside of the production area.
• Participate in area quality system audits.
• Utilize the MSO process and EHS requirements when shipping out materials.
OTHER NECESSARY FUNCTIONS:
• Follow all policies, procedures, and EHS requirements.
• Perform other duties as requested by management.
• Ability to translate corporate and plant quality objectives into meaningful and achievable goals for the department.
• Operational knowledge regarding process, equipment capability, practices, systems.
• Strong mechanical and process aptitude preferred
• Ability to handle multiple projects/assignments concurrently and be results oriented.
• Demonstrates good computer skills, including a good working knowledge of Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point)
• Experience with AS400, AARTs and Minitab preferred
• Knowledge of aluminum alloys and properties strongly preferred
• Knowledge of aluminum product applications strongly preferred
• Working knowledge of Casting, Rolling, and Finishing Technology (as appropriate by area)
• Knowledge of Process Management and VPM preferred
• Knowledge of ISO 9001 quality systems & IATF standards
• Able to work flexible hours as required.