We are looking for our next VP of Engineering to lead the engineering team in our market-leading SAAS business. Our engineering and product teams are small and generally work remotely. The role will involve managing people and infrastructure, collaborating with the product team and substantial hands-on coding. Our current VP of Engineering is planning to retire in the first half of 2022 and will provide an extensive transition. Our next engineering leader must be independent, self-motivated and passionate about leading our technological development in a fast-paced, agile, start-up environment.
The Company’s core client-side technology is based on GWT. It is mission critical that our new VP learn the application and drive continuing upgrades and enhancements of the current software within an updated version of GWT. This role is ideal for someone with GWT experience, with a strong interest in strategic business applications and who is comfortable continuing to work within the current tech stack. The near term objective is to drive high quality customer experiences as the team considers its technology choices.
Our intermediate term plan is to rebuild the software using modern tools, and to introduce a new version alongside the existing version. Until the new version of the software is functional, it is essential that our customers continue to have a great experience with the current software. The expectation is that the new VP will collaborate with the team to design and drive the new version of the software. This is an ideal role for a lead engineer with GWT experience who wants to deploy the most recent technology as the company pivots over the next few years.
● Lead and manage a small, agile development team
● On an ongoing basis, design, implement and test new functionality for our suite of SaaS tools
● Assess the current technology and platforms to recommend the best migration, probably away from GWT
● Work efficiently to accomplish the migration project with no detrimental impact on the Company’s customer base
● Identify and implement best-practices in software development and standards
● Maintain our cloud-based delivery infrastructure
● Develop integrations with third-party technologies
● Install and configure software and infrastructure applications
● Refine and maintain installation and configuration procedures
● Participate in SOC2 and security discussions
● 5+ years of hands-on experience designing, developing and implementing robust and scalable applications
● Demonstrated excellence in designing and developing SaaS based applications
● Must be able to work legally in the U.S. without visa sponsorship, or be a resident of Canada
● Previous experience as an engineering lead or VP of Engineering preferred but not required Qualities and Skills
● Capability and desire to own both the design and implementation of software components and services
● Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills, ability to investigate and solve complex problems ● Comfortable working with multiple technologies
● Writing clean and easily maintainable code
● Willingness to identify trends and to quickly learn and adopt new technologies as needed
● Ability to work productively on your own (including remotely) and as a recruiter/ leader/ manager of a small team
● Startup-ready: a resourceful, hands-on owner with good communication skills
The following is the full tech stack that we currently use. This is open-ended - typically we add to it over time as the need arises.