Under the general supervision of the Manager of Laboratory Services, the Medical Technologist is responsible for the performance of routine and specialized tests carried out in the Clinical and/or Microbiology Laboratory(ies). Solves technical problems requiring a complex degree of judgment with minimum supervision.
Staff members who treat patients of a specific age group must be aware of the JCAHO requirements specific to that population. The specific information skills related to the position in this job description will be related to the following age group populations: infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric.
- Specimen Collection:
- Collects specimens according to established procedures and policies. Is competent in specimen collection for all age groups, including infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric. Volume of blood taken and size of needle used adjusted based on age of client.
- Evaluates requests for testing accurately. Identifies patient correctly 100% of the time.
- Information Services: Inputs patient information into the Laboratory Information System and other information systems accurately.
- Quality Control:
- Performs quality control per regulations and established procedures and policies and documents all quality control data. Quality control data is reviewed and patient results are not released when an out of control situation remains unresolved.
- Reviews quality control data and submits monthly reports as required.
- Performs required preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment and documents as appropriate. Is proficient in troubleshooting laboratory equipment.
- Assures continued service during downtime by exploring local and regional resources where appropriate.
- Proficiency Testing: Proficiency survey check samples are analyzed as they are received and accurately reported by the due date. In the event of a failure, corrective action is taken to prevent a similar failure in the future.
- Testing is performed accurately and according to established procedures and policies.
- Testing is done according to established timeframes, whether routine or stat.
- Abnormal results are consistently verified.
- Evaluates laboratory results based on age-specific criteria.
- Providers are notified of results that exceed critical limits.
- Maintains records according to regulatory and policy requirements.
- QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
- Resource Utilization: Ensures that appropriate supplies and equipment are available, accounted for and used in a cost-effective manner.
- Safety: Helps to provide a clean, comfortable environment for customers and others by taking appropriate safety precautions and responds to urgent safety situations effectively.
- Organizes, prioritizes and completes activities and assignments in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrates initiative in assisting others and performing other duties based on skill level and training orientation.
- Quality Improvement Program: Participates in department problem solving, suggests improvements and facilitates changes.
- Ability to read and interpret complex documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write complex reports and correspondence.
- Ability to perform complex, college-level calculations.
- Ability to apply common-sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving many concrete variables in standardized situations.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology or a related science.
License/Certification: Current Clinical Laboratory Scientist License issued by the State of California.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Experience: Generalist Clinical Laboratory Scientist with recent experience in Hematology, Chemistry, and Blood Bank.
Very competitive salary and benefits!
Great company to work for!
Full relocation package is available!
Don't miss out! Apply now and we'll be in touch immediately with more specific details, salary information and to answer any questions!!
This position does NOT provide sponsorship so please do NOT apply if you require sponsorship. Thank You
KP Recruiting Group
"Bringing Talent to the Marketplace"
KP Recruiting Group is a well established and very respected recruiting firm. We have built a strong reputation as a premier resource for providing highly qualified candidates for our clients. We are very experienced in many industries and have a wide range of clients. We will serve as your advocate during your career search! Let us do the work for you! There is never a fee for our services!