A CNC Programmer uses CAM software, such as Mastercam and Smartcam, to generate program code that controls the operations of a CNC machine. These CNC machines, such as mills and lathes, follow the program code to perform a series of machining operations (rough cutting, finish cutting, shaping, pocketing, profiling, turning, drilling, tapping, threading, etc.) to produce the required components.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
CNC Programmer’s Duties and Responsibilities:
· Collaborate with Tool Designer to determine proper fixturing. Review CAD models and drawings.
· Calculate material allowances. Determine proper sequence of machining operations.
· Determine which tools, speeds, and feed rates to employ. Write CNC programs for Turning and Milling operations.
· Run simulations. Collaborate with CNC Operator during prove-outs.
· Create, maintain, manage, and improve CNC programs databases. Work with CNC machine operators to correct errors and develop optimum machine performance.
· Adopt and promote “Lean Thinking & Continuous Improvement”. Participate in cross-functional problem solving and improvement activities.
· Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or equivalent. Must be proficient in Mastercam. Preferred knowledge of Smartcam. Minimum of 5 of years of experience with offline programming and a minimum of 5 years of experience running machines in a production or tool room environment.