The Automation Sr. Engineer is responsible for operating and maintaining Automation/Control systems that support all facilities. The incumbent has responsibility for indirectly supervising and directing internal resources as well as contract service providers. The the individual will be responsible for providing Subject Matter Expertise (SME) for various Automation/Control systems including PLC’s, HMI’s, SCADA, BAS/BMS, vision systems, servo and motor controls, and associated infrastructure.
Essential duties and Responsibilities
A. Manage Automation/Control systems
· Technically review maintenance procedures.
· Prepare, maintain, and follow operating, security, and backup procedures for the systems and associated processes to adhere to cGMP’s, company, local, and state requirements.
· Support shut down activities and scheduling of PM/repair work.
· Increase Automotive/Control system performance through identification of improvements.
· Monitor automation/control system performance through identification of improvements.
· Monitor automation/control equipment operation and implement corrective actions for out of specification operation and alarms.
· Optimize spare parts stocking program.
· Support Quality Assurance investigations of Automation/Control issues.
· Coordinate breakdown repair activities and serve as customer point of contact.
· Develop, conduct, and document test methods for systems troubleshooting.
· Facilitate completion of change control documentation.
· Develop training modules; provide coaching/feedback to develop/enhance technical personnel capabilities.
· Ensure effective and up to date training.
· Provide technical troubleshooting support to mechanics responding to breakdowns.
B. Manage Automation/Control Projects
· Work with the customers/end users to identify process improvement projects.
· Develop scope and estimates, and manage projects to completion.
· Coordinate support activities such as equipment reconfiguration, change over, replacement planning, etc.
· Develop and Maintain documentation including User Requirements and Detailed Design Specifications.
· Manage contract and internal resources to execute projects.
· Support factory Pre-Acceptance of equipment from an Automation/Controls perspective.
· Maintain an up to date drawing of new and/or existing equipment, systems and processes.
C. Coordinate Handover of Automation/Control Equipment from Engineering.
· Work with Engineering Team to review specifications and provide input.
· Accept/Create turnover packages and establish maintenance programs.
· Support Qualification activities including protocol generation/review/execution.
· Position has responsibilities at multiple locations in central Ohio.
Qualifications and Requirements
· Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering or a related engineering field is required.
· Minimum 7 years of experience in Pharmaceutical or similar regulated industry preferred.
· Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Applications, including Microsoft Project, Word and Excel.
· Familiar with AutoCAD.
· Must be a creative thinker with good interpersonal relationship skills, strong project management and process improvement skills, as well as strong cross-functional teamwork skills.
· Job assignments are complex in nature and require excellent planning, project leadership, technical skills, and communication to be successful in meeting project objectives. The Automation Engineer must be able to coordinate and resolve both interpersonal and technical problems and work independently.
· Must have an understating of automation programming (visual basic, C++, ladder logic, structured text, etc.)
· Ability to clearly and concisely express thoughts in written procedures, protocols, and reports, to write procedures that clearly define, required tasks, to proofread other’s work for accuracy, and to generate presentations/reports to explain and/or analyze areas of responsibility.
· Comfortable working in production environment with multiple priorities. Works effectively as a team member or team leader.
· Effective oral and written communication skills, acute attention to detail, excellent time and project management skills, and the drive to complete projects thoroughly is required, as is the ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-changing work environment.
· Comfortable establishing culture of performance. Able to effectively delegate while retaining oversight of important tasks.
· Role Models “can do” attitude. Reinforces positive approach in daily group activities. Readily adapts to changing job duties. Establishes culture that emphasizes responsiveness.
· Hands on ability to isolate problems and identify root causes of issues.
· Ability to acquire data, organize, analyze and reach accurate conclusions.
· Working knowledge of statistical methods used to develop metrics.
· Ability to teach others how to fix things, analyze data to identify trends and establish corrective actions.
· Understanding of engineering principles as they apply to facility and production equipment. Understanding of maintenance strategies and techniques. Understanding Continuous Improvement Principles.
· Experience with PLC’s and SCADA systems and equipment. Specific knowledge of Siemens Simatic, Rockwell MicroLogix, and FactoryTalk is a plus. Ability to specify and configure control equipment.
· Must have an understanding of automation programming (visual basic, C++, ladder logic, structured text, etc.) and demonstrated ability to program and debug/troubleshoot existing code.
· Knowledge of OSHA requirements and understanding of cGMP, GDP, and FDA requirements as they apply to automation. Experience with regulatory interaction/auditing. Experience with Validation and Investigation Reporting.
· Ability to understand mechanical layouts and electrical/pneumatic schematics (P&ID’s).