To direct and participate in the design and development of complex, major engineering product or process projects for release to production in a manner to ensure products provide superior performance, durability, quality, and serviceability. This Engineering Specialist role is within the growing space of battery electrical systems and BMS advancements. Incumbent will be responsible for developing battery electrical components and systems for a range of Caterpillar products, including hybrid and full battery architectures.
- This position will be accountable for leading the electrical concept, design, and development of battery electrical systems and the associated BMS hardware. This position will provide direction, concepting, and consulting for new application investigations as well as providing direct leadership and guidance for the electrical architecture and design of batteries within New Product Introduction (NPI) Programs. Responsibilities include working closely with other battery team members and other component teams, as well as validation engineers to determine component and pack configuration, design, detailing and problem resolution. Other responsibilities include working closely with core hardware and software teams to evaluate and develop Battery Management Systems.
- The key role of an Engineering Specialist – Design is that of principal contributor on a design or CPPD team responsible for development of a product, process, or both. This position will develop solutions for complex technical engineering problems and may be accountable for the design or improvement of complex systems or processes. In addition to demonstrating technical expertise, a person in this position may be called on to act as a team and/or project leader. But major focus is on technical delivery. Must demonstrate ability to develop and perform on a complex project or program. Direct work with other units, suppliers, customers, and teams require the incumbent demonstrate skill in negotiation, building consensus, and achieving compromise. Impact of decisions made by this position may be far-reaching, to include the project team or immediate work group, division, and/or business unit, suppliers, internal and external customers, and Caterpillar markets. Decisions may significantly impact warranty, patents, products or processes, technology, costs, sales, and customer perceptions.
- Success factors for the Engineering Specialist – Design are strong communication, spatial and conceptual design skills, and an understanding of customers’ needs and product application. Major challenges facing incumbents are keeping up-to-date with technology and developing increased technical breadth and/or depth. Responsibilities of this position demand that the incumbent understand complex technical problems and demonstrate the ability to develop creative solutions. Technical leadership skills are essential. Though the focus of the job is technical contribution, project management skills may be required.
- Key areas of responsibility encountered in this role may include any or all of the following: design and promote new products and processes; contribute to establishing strategies for new process and product programs; develop and manage the project/program to the plan; perform needs analysis and initiate ideas; evaluate new products, perform product maintenance; keep up to date on new technologies or develop new technologies; communicate technology to customers, team members, suppliers, and other units; and support and advise other engineers, managers, marketing personnel, customers, and suppliers.
- Engineers must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast of technology. This position must develop increased technical breadth and/or depth at this level, as well as gaining increased business management skills. Additional key skills at this level include development of acceptance criteria, new product introduction process, spatial design, conceptual design, practical application of theory, knowledge of the NPI process, and communication skills.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in an accredited Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering curriculum plus 13-15 years of engineering experience or a master’s degree in an Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering curriculum plus 9-12 years of engineering experience or a doctorate degree in Engineering plus 3-5 years of engineering experience.
- Requires a minimum of 3 years experience in Battery Systems and/or Battery Management Systems.
- Incumbents must have excellent analytical skills an extensive understanding of complex engineering concepts and applications.
- Requires a self-starter with strong technical leadership skills.
- Must have ability to communicate technical information effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well employees in other units, customers, and suppliers.
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
- Strong analytical skills
- Knowledge and Experience with DFMEA’s
- Experience in the development process for new components
- Experience with other electric drivetrain components such as motors, power electronics, etc.
- Knowledge of drivetrain systems for a range of architectures (hybrid, BEV, etc.)
- Experience with automotive, construction, or heavy machinery drivetrains
Very competitive salary and benefits!
Great company to work for!
Full relocation package is available!
Don't miss out! Apply now and we'll be in touch immediately with more specific details, salary information and to answer any questions!!
This position does NOT provide sponsorship so please do NOT apply if you require sponsorship. Thank You
KP Recruiting Group
"Bringing Talent to the Marketplace"
KP Recruiting Group is a well established and very respected recruiting firm. We have built a strong reputation as a premier resource for providing highly qualified candidates for our clients. We are very experienced in many industries and have a wide range of clients. We will serve as your advocate during your career search! Let us do the work for you! There is never a fee for our services!