Our South Oregon Region has multiple openings for Forest Engineers. This position is based out of our Eugene, Oregon office and reports to the South Valley area manager, with additional accountabilities to the Region Engineer for engineering activities in the area. This is a full-time, exempt position, with salary level dependent on skills and experience.
The role is responsible for the planning, scheduling, management, and layout of field engineering activities associated with timber harvest, road construction, and road maintenance. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for executing the engineering plan, in compliance with the regional and area engineering strategy, along with the annual budget.
- Advocate, model and inspect for safe work practices.
- Developing and tracking budgets and key metrics.
- Contract administration; negotiate, prepare, supervise, monitor for compliance, invoice management.
- Forecasting engineering projects and expenditures.
- Act as company representative with landowners, government agencies, and community representatives.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal safety statutes, environmental requirements and Weyerhaeuser resource and stewardship goals.
- Collaborate with others on the area and region teams to ensure alignment with goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Forestry or related field with at least two years of experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience (five years or more).
- Willingness to abide by established safety standards.
- General knowledge of state and federal forest practice rules/statutes.
- Familiarity of northwest forest practices permitting processes.
- Team building, communication, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Proficiency in use of personal computers and related software applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and using Geographical Information Systems to generate maps.
- Ability to develop, prioritize, plan, implement and manage activities to meet targets and deadlines with occasional extended work periods and weekend work.
- Experience in project management and contract administration.
- Willing to work independently in an office setting and travel to destinations in the woods. Minimum of 50% of work time is spent in the field, working on steep or broken ground covered with slash and brush, and in all weather conditions.
- Valid driver’s license is required, as work involves driving company vehicles on rough roads (25,000 miles per year).