The Materials Manager is responsible for control of the master schedule and inventory; the ordering, scheduling, movement and tracking of all manufactured and purchased parts, and raw materials; the requisitioning of all purchased components; the stocking and kitting of parts for assembly and test; in-process inspection; and the shipping and receiving function.
The Materials Manager also oversees the activities of the Purchasing Department at Chatsworth Operations (MCO). These activities will include, but not limited to, the responsibility for the acquisition of all production and non‑production goods and services. This position will be held accountable for the implementation and monitoring of all activities associated with the company's Small and Disadvantaged Business Program.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
This position reports to the Director of Operations at MCO on issues of budget, staffing and capital expenditures, and on issues pertaining to the day‑to‑day operations. To achieve the objectives of this position, the incumbent must work closely with Sales and Marketing, Program Management, Contract Administration, Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Shop Supervision and Assembly and Test.
The role of the Materials Manager is to schedule, prioritize and expedite manufacturing and purchasing resources in order to achieve timely delivery of production and engineering Hardware.
The Materials Manager must organize his/her group to effectively and efficiently support production and non‑production requirements. These requirements will include, but are not limited to all production products, perishable tooling, chemicals, office supplies, leases and test equipment.
The Materials Manager will assume the responsibility for approving all requisitions and will insure that these documents comply with the applicable government procurement regulations.
- Through Materials Planning the Materials Manager authorizes the purchase and manufacture of materials, providing schedules and priorities to assure the achievement of shipment goals, the minimization of inventory investment, and the optimization of production flow. The incumbent is also responsible for the review, definition and disposition of slow‑moving and obsolete inventory.
- Through the Inventory Control, Shipping/Receiving Supervisor, the Materials Manager controls the movement of work‑in‑process between work centers and suppliers, and expedites where necessary to achieve schedules. The Materials Manager is also responsible for the accuracy of all common, customer‑owned inventories, and as such, conducts cycle counts, annual physical inventory and audits as required. The Materials Manager is responsible for the inventory accuracy level.
- Through the shipping and receiving function, the Materials Manager assures timely, cost-effective shipments, and compliance with all customs regulations.
- Through the purchasing organization, supply the mechanical and electronic components necessary to support production and test equipment, along with accurate lead times and on time deliveries.
- Through the purchasing organization act as a Small Business Liaison Officer responsible for the statistical analysis of subcontracting activities, location, development of Small Disadvantage Business Concerns.
- Support Program Management and Sales by working directly with customers regarding delivery problems as required.
- Develop the shipment plan for production hardware and engineering hardware on a monthly and/or quarterly basis. Support the achievement of the planned volume and mix through the control of the parts flow through fabrication to Assembly and Test. Monitor progress to the shipping targets.
- Control supplier deliveries, manufacturing lot sizes and the release of work orders to the shop to support the shipment plan, balancing the objectives of minimal inventory investment and optimal production flow.
- Guide the supervision of the stockroom to assure accurate counts and appropriate services of kits to assembly and test and raw materials to the shop.
- Assure the effective movement of material throughout the facility and to outside suppliers as required.
- Directs the processing and placement of all production and non‑production requisitions.
- Responsible for the prompt placement and on‑time delivery of all purchased materials and services. Provide timely feedback to Management of potential supplier delivery and quality problems. Remain continuously cognizant of supplier delivery performance.
- Assure that Materials personnel receive proper instruction in the maintenance and utilization of the materials management system.
- Assure the accuracy and integrity of the data in the computer‑based materials system by maintaining appropriate controls procedures within the Materials Department and supporting efforts of other departments to maintain the database.
- Prepare annual department staffing and expense budgets.
- Prepare annual recommendations for salary increases.
- Promote Continuous Improvement through employee involvement.
Must have at least a Bachelor Degree in Business, Industrial Management or Engineering with a minimum of seven years of experience in a manufacturing management position with experience in SAP, FAR/DFAR and specific experience with materials, scheduling, planning within an aerospace, defense or space related organization.
In performing this role, the incumbent must have the personal drive and human relations skills to deal with the conflicting interests of customers, sales, program management and manufacturing personnel.
Second, the incumbent must have or be able to rapidly acquire a sound understanding of MRP H material control systems, as well as detailed knowledge of the specific systems used at Moog. Third, the Materials Manager should acquire a basic familiarity with the major products, manufacturing processes and capabilities, as well as the scope and commitment of major programs.