Director Data Engineering
Salary: USD $160,000 – $169,999 / yr
Chicago, IL, US
Responsible for implementing data management initiatives to improve data quality. Responsible for working cross-functionally in a collaborative manner within a matrix environment. Evaluates risk and provides solutions to mitigate the presented risks.
- Works closely with the Divisional CIO’s and business stakeholders to establish how to deliver the WBA D&A strategy. Partners with Microsoft to build Data and Analytics platform in Azure that covers customer and operational data. Executes the strategy and global migration from current WBA data sources to the new Platform. Analyzes long-term impact of new or anticipated strategies and decisions.
- Executes on H1 Enterprise Data Analytics strategies and plans. Proactively addresses problems a cross functional areas of the business. Builds the formal frameworks and methodologies for approaching major strategic issues and creating new innovative concepts across the Enterprise for area of expertise.
- May counsels key stakeholders on area of expertise. Partners cross-functionally to translate and define business needs for area of responsibility to execute against.
- Ensures process and structural fit with key stakeholders. Performs as a focal point for cross-functional teams and liaison to stakeholders in developing and implementing frameworks. Develops effective working relationships with stakeholders to achieve targeted goals and/or solutions.
- Executes the strategy to sunset WBA’s legacy D&A platforms, including but not limited to Netezza, TeraData, Abacus.
- Strategically partners cross-functionally to develop the actionable roadmap to meet goals. Works with key shareholders to formulate a comprehensive technology plan that is consistent with the overall business objectives and budgetary considerations. Contributes to ensuring the correct Data & Analytics technology organization is developed to support the divisional needs.
- Uses technical knowledge to contribute to the governance of technology choices. Applies broad knowledge of D&A capabilities. Conducts technological research by studying organization goals, strategies, practices, and user projects. Recommends information technology strategies, policies, and procedures by evaluating organization outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; anticipating requirements.
- Manages the portfolio of activities to deliver D&A capabilities to the divisions.
- Implements policies and defines approach to strategy achievement for specified area of responsibility. Analyzes long-term impact of new or anticipated strategies and decisions.
- Delivers presentations and provides reports for the business to provide best practice information which may include industry trends, methodologies, new tools, and processes. Serves as subject matter expert in one or more areas.
- Facilitates communication between staff, management, vendors, and other technology resources within and outside of the organization. Shares highly complex information related to areas of expertise. Interacts with senior management to keep abreast of objectives. Works with external vendors and third parties to develop and maintain positive relationships. Builds and enhances internal and external partnerships. May establish and manage a broad range of internal/external relationships for the support of the technical aspects of the specified area of responsibility
- Manages budgets, operational plans and performance requirements. Responsible for meeting budgetary goals and objectives.
Bachelor’s degree and at least 7 years of experience in Technology Architecture OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 10 years of experience in Technology Architecture. At least 5 years of program management experience in advanced analytics or business intelligence and/or technology Experience with data management, advanced analytics or business intelligence, covering both traditional MI as well as big data analytics Experience with core data analytics tools and concepts, e.g. data warehouses, data lakes, data streaming, extract-transform-load (ETL), data integration, dashboards, etc. Knowledge of analytical methods, data science methods, especially machine learning and AI Experience with platform architecture that is cloud efficient Experience partnering with security to ensure platform is secured and regulatory compliant. Experience establishing & maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, in the business community & with vendors. Experience diagnosing, isolating, and resolving complex issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems Experience identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems. Experience managing cross-functional and/or matrix teams. Experience interacting at the executive level. At least 4 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets. At least 4 years of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).