Job Description: Mechanical Engineering – Structural Analyst
Engineer to perform mechanical analysis tasks on complex systems including precision mechanisms, electro-mechanical hardware, opto-mechanical, and complex electronic packaging in a program team environment. This position is responsible for the analysis of composite, metallic, and glass components and assemblies for space, airborne, and ground based systems.
- Analyze the models for stress, strain, displacement, modes, etc. at both component and assembly levels.
- Prepare reports, formal documentation, and presentation materials summarizing analysis results and presenting results to both external and internal groups.
- Program support includes mission/requirements definition, concept generation, trade studies, design sensitivity/optimization studies, preliminary and final design, component selection, integration and test support, materials selection, CAD 3D solid modeling, design documentation and collaboration with manufacturing operations for fabrication in a program team environment.
- 6+ years with a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree required or 4+ years of experience with a master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree
- Experience with commercial FEA codes and Pre/Post Processors (preferably Nastran and Femap or Patran, would also consider Abaqus or Ansys)
- Experience in aerospace systems with an emphasis on structural/dynamics analysis
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Knowledge of system level hardware design & development, mechanical and structural analysis, payload level integration & test, and risk mitigation for space-based environments.
- Experience with opto-mechanical hardware
- Ability to work independently and within a multi-disciplined team environment
- Experience as a lead engineer, project engineer, or IPT lead is a plus.
- An understanding of structural analysis methods (FEA and hand-calculations)
- Experience in the space industry highly desired
- Familiarity with 3D CAD programs such as Creo or Pro/E
- Experience with computational programming (Matlab, Python, Fortran)
- Active TS/SCI Clearance