Facilitate the sales and administrative processes for Employee Benefits (EB) clients on assigned accounts, working closely with producer and EB agency staff. Must be knowledgeable in areas of EB coverages, carrier guidelines, underwriting and legislative changes.
Job Description Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major
and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Assist producer with achieving new business and retention goals. Seek new lines of coverage for
current and new clients and act on cross-sell opportunities.
2. Assure review of existing plans/coverages is completed for new clients.
3. Manage the renewal marketing process, coordinating with producer to develop proposals and
recommendations. Negotiate renewal with carrier. Deliver recommendations to clients as needed, or
accompany producer in making presentations.
4. Control and coordinate the implementation process of new business and renewals, including group
meetings, enrollment, submission, and deliver of administrative materials.
5. Build and maintain relationships with key client contacts.
6. Assist with obtaining reports and meet with clients regarding fully insured and self-funded claim
reports, monthly or quarterly, as necessary.
7. Maintain relationships with carrier representatives, staying abreast of new products, carrier
procedural changes and market trends. Attend seminars, classes and carrier meetings to keep abreast of
new products available for clients, as opportunities occur.
8. Prepare, with assistance of producer and EB agency staff, Stewardship Report for appropriate
9. Ensure clients are up-to-date on compliance requirements (e.g. ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, FMLA,
SPDs, Form 5500s) through meetings, webinars, legislative updates and other resources.
10. Liaise between client and carrier and between client and Employee Benefits agency staff on
escalated service issues and problem solving, assuring clients their concerns remain active until verifiably
complete and confirmed.
11. Make proactive, regularly scheduled courtesy service calls to assigned accounts.
12. Facilitate, in cooperation with Account Manager, “lunch ‘n learns” and health fairs, as requested.
13. Present and assist clients to implement wellness solutions, as necessary.
14. Provide administrative support on other tasks such as assigned special projects, development of new
ideas/services and other projects, as requested.
15. Become proficient in the EB system, specifically log activities to document client meetings, carrier
follow-up, service issues, establish follow-up date and daily manage follow-up in EB system. Also,
understand how EB staff uses the EB system to know where to look for information to assist clients.
Required Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and related training
2. Eight years of relevant experience
3. State-issued agent’s license
4. Provide leadership to the team
5. Strong knowledge of EB practices and ability to manage multiple concurrent projects with shifting
6. Ability and experience working with large retail accounts
7. Ability to communicate complex rules to clients and employees to achieve understanding and
facilitate decision making
8. Comprehensive knowledge and training on the requirements of health care reform
9. Proficient in both fully-funded and alternative-funded (self-funded) programs. Strong knowledge of SELF FUNDED and analytics
10. Possess sales and relationship skills and must be able to sell the renewal to the client
11. Competent with the various calculators and tools designed for health care reform compliance decision
12. Comprehensive knowledge of compliance requirements (e.g. ERISA, HIPPA, COBRA, FMLA, SPDs,
1. Knowledge of BB&T Insurance Services’ management systems, BenefitPoint and Zwave
2. Hold insurance designation (e.g. RHU, REBC or some equivalent)