This position is accountable for the talent and culture growth of our most important asset - our people. The IT Competency function is focused on building effective IT teams with a culture that embraces change, growth and development.
- Ensuring our IT talent strategy is aligned with our overall IT talent needs and business objectives
- Partnering with our IT Product and IT Operations leaders to align demand needs with our labor capacity
- Aligning our overall labor costs with IT’s budget and strategy objectives
- Developing the skills and careers of our IT Competency Leads who then are accountable for the growth and development of our IT workforce
This position is responsible for providing strategic direction, vision and leadership to a specific technology function. This individual will:
- Define and drive the strategy for a specific technology function (i.e. IT product development, IT operations, IT competency development)
- Collaborate with business and IT leaders to align the function strategy to the overall business and IT strategy and objectives
- Maintain a long-term outlook on industry and technology trends to identify opportunities that align to overall IT and business objectives
- Leverage data to monitor the effectiveness of the technology function
- Coach and develop others to grow talent in the organization
- Create a culture of inclusivity, trust and innovation across the IT and business community
Strategy Development & Execution
- Apply modern technical and agility concepts in the development and execution of the IT strategy
- Leverage data to monitor and report progress on roadmap status and key success measures (i.e. improved business performance, improved IT performance, improved people performance, etc. )
- Communicate regularly with business and IT leaders on the progress of key objectives and initiatives. Obtain senior leadership guidance and approval as required to advance initiatives.
- Work with internal and external partners to ensure availability of the resources required to effectively execute the technical function and strategy
Stakeholder / Customer Relationship Management
- Work with key business and technology partners, both internal and external, to better understand and align each other’s objectives, drive stronger relationships and promote mutual success
- Provide guidance on key business unit/department initiatives, including technical direction, roadmap definition, risk mitigation, resource and execution approaches, etc.
- Apply insights of our external customer needs to technical function strategy and roadmaps
- Use business performance metrics to frame technology function outcomes
- Apply enterprise thinking in decisions and priorities in the best interest of the company
People / Organizational Leadership
- Partner with other IT and business leaders to build high functioning teams, ensuring the application of high technical standards and grooming engaged, diverse technical talent
- Coach, mentor and develop IT leaders and professional staff by infusing a culture of continuous growth and development
- Conduct and provide insight into hiring processes, performance reviews, and promotion decisions
- Empower teams through inclusive, servant-leader principles. Influence a culture of trust, transparency and inclusivity throughout the IT and business community
- Lead cross department or cross-enterprise improvement initiatives
- Champion change being driven by other IT or business leaders within your teams and functions
- Demonstrate commitment to company Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion effort
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, or Information Technology, or equivalent trade-off in related professional work experience.
- 10 + years of experience demonstrating progressively greater managerial responsibilities within large, complex technology or business functions
- 5+ years of people leadership experience (hiring, compensation planning, performance management, etc.) demonstrating authenticity, transparency and trust
- Strong understanding of scaled agile technical delivery, technical operations or technical solutions architecture
- Demonstrated ability and experience in developing and maintaining vendor relationships and contract negotiations
- Extensive knowledge of the financial services or insurance industry and the various regulations within that space is a plus, but not a requirement
- Demonstrated ability to get positive results through collaboration and influence
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills with a keen ability to distill complex analysis into impactful and concise stories.