Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Associate Director, Technical Accounting and Policies will serve as internal US GAAP subject matter expert, provide technical accounting advice on complex business transactions across the Company and work closely with the Business Development team on accounting considerations for M&A and licensing deals. The AD will be responsible for development and training of accounting policies and supporting the finance and accounting team with timely and insightful research, documentation, and guidance on technical accounting matters, including complex and non-standard transactions such as revenue recognition, inventory valuation, derivatives, equity and debt offerings and adoption of new standards.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, who is knowledgeable in BioTech/Pharma industry US GAAP applications as well as general technical accounting matters, a great communicator and enjoys collaborating with people with a diverse set of talents. We are looking for someone with strong technical accounting skills, who is passionate about delivering quality results and driving continual improvement in a dynamic, high-growth environment.
- Lead Company’s adoption efforts for new pronouncements as and when applicable.
- Acts as single point of contact for enterprise expertise with respect to changes to the US GAAP guidance that impact global Finance teams.
- Research, analyze and assess the impact of technical accounting matters and arrive at well-reasoned conclusions.
- Prepare/review technical accounting memos and effectively communicate technical accounting conclusions and supporting rationale.
- Proactively participate in the analysis of complex accounting matters, communicating results succinctly for accountant and non-accountants to understand
- Exercise sound judgement when escalating issues to Corporate Controller, Chief Accounting Office and Chief Financial Officer.
- Provide periodic GAAP updates to global Finance leadership as and when applicable.
- Responsible for the global accounting policy manual and related maintenance process (drafting, reviewing, updating).
- Provides direction and guidance to the accounting organization to ensure activities are recorded and reported in compliance with GAAP and internal accounting policies.
- Participates in or leads special projects related to technical accounting matters for the organization.
- Address inquiries arising from Regional Controllers or business regarding application of the Company’s accounting policies and U.S. GAAP to significant and unusual transactions.
- Prepare and/or revise accounting policies and procedures to reflect new accounting pronouncements or guidance, to improve clarity or to respond to changing circumstances.
- Communicate with Finance personnel regarding accounting changes, new accounting standards and technical accounting topics.
- Maintain and perform SOX controls within the Technical Accounting function
- Other projects and responsibilities may be added at the manager’s discretion.
- At the direction of the Accounting leadership, leads coordinating Finance organization training programs related to accounting updates, including but not limited to, engagement with external and internal auditors, the AICPA and other outside training organizations.
- Crafting strong business partnerships across functions both within and external to Corporate Controllership
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is required. CPA or equivalent experience required.
- 10+ years of relevant experience with mix of Big 4 public accounting and a technical role in industry or consulting (biotech industry preferred)
- Advanced understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
- Strong attention to detail, decision-making, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills
- Strong project management, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Must be highly detail oriented.
- Process-oriented, ability to work with others and lead and affect process change and improvements.
- Excellent Excel spreadsheet skills including financial modeling, accounting system and proficiency with other Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, etc.); Oracle/Hyperion reporting experience a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, to facilitate interaction through all levels of the organization
- Ability to research and propose resolutions on complex accounting issues
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize reporting and other management systems and tools
- Computer skills including Excel, Word, Power Point and computerized G/L and financial reporting systems.